Friday, July 12, 2013

May 6, 2013

Dear Family,

Hey, how was the week. I hope all things went well for you. Wow this week went fast, but I guess that is because it was basically a shortened week. There was lots of things that filled the week that kind of cut out of our full time being able to proselyte but it was still a good week.

On Friday we went back to the church to fill the font again. It wasn’t as bad this time because more elders showed up to do their part but it was still hot as always. Not bad. Saturday we had the baptism that went well. We had two from our area and two from the other Njaie Town area so there was four for our branch. Our two were Charles Vandy and Edmond Sandy. Great guys, I think I told you a lot about Edmond last week. Charles was with the group of boys that baptized on the 13th of April and was supposed to baptize last week. But it has finally happened and he is happy so all is well.

Sunday, well… This Sunday was good. Usually Sunday is the most tiring day of the week. But this Sunday we had some crazy things happen. On Saturday evening we had a lesson with this lady that we had contacted the other week but hadn’t really been able to sit down with her yet. We kind of felt like she wouldn’t progress too much but knew we had to go. Wow, sweet lesson. We were totally wrong. It was a good thing we followed the instruction to invite all and went to go teach her. She has a small daughter of six years who was hit by a motorcycle and broke her leg. It is starting to get better but she said that she wouldn’t be able to go anywhere till her daughter could walk… Both my companion and I said at the same time that we would be there to pick them up in the morning and carry her to the church. She finally agreed. We showed up on Sunday and after some small time they came out all dressed up and ready to go. Awesome! And at the time the ladies husband was there. He also drives bike for a living and was present. We talked to him and he was just about to leave so he gave them a ride to the church. They had to leave part way through the second hour which was okay because the dr. was coming to meet them at the house so we carried the little girl home. The whole time they said they loved the church and would be there the whole time next week. We were so happy.

Later, during Elders Quorum is where the apostasy happened. They were talking and teaching how to do priesthood ordinances. We had one investigator there who is 13 yrs old. They had him sit in the chair and then one of the members came up to demonstrate how to confirm. We Elders were looking at each other waiting to see if he just explained or what was going to happen. Next thing we know is he is literally! Confirming him a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day saints, and giving him the Holy Ghost and giving a blessing. We were freaking out and were able to stop him part way through. What!? What were they thinking? They wanted to practice on him again but we said no and made them use a member and a different name then their real name and not to truly do the real thing…. Wow. It was crazy. We are still teaching him and will baptize him soon and then he can really receive the Holy Ghost in the proper way.
The rest of the day was good. All of our lessons went well and we just weren’t as tired as usual even though it was very hot and sweaty and long walks it was a good day.

Now for some different news…. I got broken into and all my money was stolen. This happened on Saturday. I had taken some money from my bag so I could go to the baptism. It wasn’t until Sunday when I went to get some more. Then… no money…. I asked around if anybody was playing a joke and they all thought I was joking too. We went out for the day and I was to really search when we got home. Money was nowhere to be found. This morning during our studies I was just thinking about it and what I was going to do with the little money that I have left and how to make it for the month when I just went into a deep ponder. I realized something was different. All of the little boys who usually play at our window weren’t there. And they weren’t there yesterday or Saturday night except for about three of them. But the rest who live behind us and not across from us hadn’t come around for a while. We know that one of the little boys can fit his head through the bars. We figured out and pieced all things together. We found one of them and had him call the other two that we were suspecting. We questioned them and questioned them. One of them has this massive swollen eye. He kept giving different stories and then we finally got it that he cut his eye on the wire behind the screen while trying to come in the window. We basically got the whole story and then their Aunties and Grannies came around looking for them because they had been missing for a while. We explained, they questioned, we showed the window and they all started to freak out. We got the admittance of it but now we are just trying to find the money because we know that somebody bigger sent them into the house and they have the money. My money was the only one and thing gone so we know that they had seen me at some point bring money from my hiding spot and could tell them where to go to find it. It is still in process. I still have some personal money with me now that I’ll be able to use for now but I’ll let you know if you will need to send me more and we can talk about it on Sunday! :)

Speaking of the call. We will probably call in the evening here anytime after probably 5 or 6. So 6 hours difference would be from 11, 12, or after.  When we figure everything out I’ll call and let you guys know the time that I’ll be calling so that when I call later you can call me back.

Wow, mom, I just got part one of your letter. Now everything makes sense reading both the first and second halves. WHAT Boston Marathon bombing!? Darn Muslims!!! And that is crazy about the Kennecott Copper Mine.
Well, I have to go, since I don’t have much money I can’t really spend to much time today. So this will be my only email to all. Sorry to all others who won’t get a personal one today. Another time..

I Love you all. I’ll talk to you on Sunday!!!
Love Elder Jones

O ya, Dad said something about a package. If you can wait just until Sunday to talk before you send it that would be great.

And very, very sorry about not getting Mrs. Farnes her letter, this weekend was crazy with the whole thief situation and I didn’t have time. I’ll get it I promise
Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment