Thursday, July 11, 2013

January 22nd and 28th , 2013

January 22nd 

Well, Hello one and all. I’m glad to hear from you.

 Thank you for your wonderful words and love. Sorry that there was no letter yesterday they changed our p-day this week to today because of the zone conference yesterday with Elder Curtis. Wow, that was way sweet. I’ll include more later on. This week had some crazy things happen.

On Friday my companion and I were just heading out and we didn’t get too far before we had to turn around and come back home. My companion was complaining about his back and a sharp pain. The couples came over and looked at it and they concluded that he was having a muscle spasm in his lower back. So, for the day we were inside while he was laying down trying to let it relax and go away. So for me, I was able to just do some extra studies and relax a little bit which was really nice because during the week I caught a small cold and I think Friday was the worst day of it so it was nice that I was able to rest a little extra. 

Toward the evening we were able to go out for just some small time. We first were going to this lady that we had just met. Apparently her whole family is member but things kept happening and she never baptized but she says she really wants to which is good. When we got there she wasn’t available but her mother was and wanted to talk. We talked for some time about how she needs to come back to church since she hasn’t been in a very long time and how the Lord still loves her. You can tell that she really loves the church and it was pretty sweet. She had mentioned that she had all the books, BofM, D&C, P.G.P, Bible, and that she used to have her own Hymn book as well but that she lost it and wants to get a new one. As she was talking about the hymns she got a little choked up when she said that she had one that she just really loved. So we had her tell us. The song was hymn 243, Let us all Press On. So we sang it for her. You could tell the happiness she felt as she bounced around in her chair while we sang. It was way cool and very spiritual.

On Saturday we were going to get fuel for our generator. At the gas station close to us they didn’t have any gas. So we had to go into town. As we got there, there was a big line of people and cars and bikes. So we were walking around about to weave our way through so we could get in and get gas and quickly go. But just before we did that I saw this guy run over to his four- five gallon..... I forget what we call them back home. The things that we put gas in for the lawn mower. Here they call them ‘Rubbers’.  He quickly picked up two  of them and told somebody to take the rest. I thought to myself, wow, he is sure in a rush. And then I see this cop run up and push him away from them and the cop now takes his full of gas rubbers and start leaving. I was astonish because I thought the guy was stealing the gas and the cops caught him. Then, to my surprise, many many cops came out and started taking EVERYBODIES rubbers whether they be full or empty. So we quickly took ours and left. We were standing off to the side just watching. The cops were taking all the rubbers because there is a big fuel crisis here and tons of people just buy fuel and jack the price up on the black market and the cops don’t do anything. But now I guess they are trying to take a stand which is good. So, we called a member who works at that particular gas station and he came to help us. He told us to go and that we would have to come back later when he was able to get the gas for us. It was a pretty crazy site. But that is how lots of things are, things happen and nobody really stops them. But let’s hope that they are making a stop to that.

On Monday, we had our zone conference. I don’t know if Sister Roggia has put pictures on the blog yet or not. You can check if you haven’t already. Haha.

Sister Curtis talked about invitations. That is our calling is to Invite others to come unto Christ. It was really good. So I send on the Invitation for you all to find somebody to Inviteor to help bring somebody else closer unto our Savior.

The main rest of the theme From President and Sister Roggia, and Elder Curtis was about seeing God’s Hand in our everyday events and actions. President Roggia talked about Jacob 5 and about how the Lord knows each and every one of us and doesn’t want to lose a single soul so He will continue to send in servants to nurture and plant and weed the ground but that we as the trees have to accept the nutrients and bring forth the fruit. He talked about standing strong in a tough situation and basically said ‘Suck it up’ even if the area is hard, or the companion stinks. We’ve all been put here to labor in the garden not to complain.

Elder Curtis talked more about our purpose and really highlighted the ‘Gospel of Jesus Christ’ The Gospel of Jesus Christ is his Atonement and love for each of us. But our portion that we have to fulfill and are sent here to labor to help others fulfill are Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End.  How yes, that is what we teach and help our investigators to fill and do so that they can have a true and lasting conversion. As he talked about Enduring to the End, he applied it more toward us. I liked something that he said, he kept saying that when he hears Endure, he thinks of somebody holding onto a rope getting pulled. So he said instead of using Endure, he put in there, ‘Having enough Faith to follow the footsteps of Christ until we reach our destination’ He said that it didn’t sound like you were holding onto a rope that way. I liked it because it is true. To endure, we just have to have enough Faith. Like the Brother of Jared, Nephi, Abinadi, Ammon, Moroni, etc... These are all amazing people and they through all of their Faith, were able to always see the Hand of the Lord in their work and lives.

So the question is... Did I see the Hand of our Loving Heavenly Father in my day today? If not, Why were my eyes closed?

Well, That is my time for today. I love you all sooo much.
 
Remember to Look for the Hand of our Loving Heavenly Father in your daily life and to Invite
Love you,
Love Elder Jones

our baptism with Daniel Sandi Lansana on MY right and Peter Bio Vandi on MY left

Elder Curtis and I

We went fishing today.. Look at my MASSIVE catch of the day!





January 28th
 
Hey mom,

Thanks to everybody for the birthday wishes. I'll make sure I have a super day for ya. I'm glad that you all enjoyed cake and a movie for me. Yesterday we also enjoyed a cake. It wasn't  for my birthday, one of the other elders just made the cake and we enjoyed. I wanted to get a picture but we dug in too quick. It was funny. Four Elders sitting around the
table, one plate, and some spoons, digging in to some cake together. I feel fat. I ate the whole thing! They had all turned around and when they looked back it was gone. Haha But I guess that was my birthday celebration. What a Sweet Cake! I'm jealous. Dad, the stache is really working for ya.

This week nothing too much really happened. Nothing too serious and nothing too bad. We have been teaching this boy who is twelve years old. Man, he is one of the smartest 12 year old in all of Sierra Leone. He can read better than many adults that we talk with and he remembers things well. It will be very good because with his education and excitement about the church he will definitely be able to help teach and assist his family to one day join and follow the path of the Savior.

Like I said, nothing much happened but i'm still trying my best and continuing to watch for the hand of the Lord in all things which I know it is there and helping in this wonderful work in this part of the vineyard. I hope you all have a wonderful week. I've saved one of the mountain house meals so I can have a delicious dinner for my birthday plus the one that is a desert. so it looks like i'll be enjoying. Lets just pray that we have light. We haven't had a light for a while.

Well, I love you all and wish you the best. Thanks again for the birthday wishes. Until next time where I won't be so young. Hopefully i'll have gained a little wisdom by then. and hopefully lose the gut
that i know you all so much enjoyed seeing in the picture. haha
Corinthians 13:11, I thought this scripture would be fitting for the
occasion.

Love you.
Love Elder Jones

Email To Dad:

Hey Dad,

Well, the first thing that comes to my mind is from Brian Regan and the science fair project. “ you wake up in the morning and your head pops off the pillow. O no! That’s due today! I had nine months to do it and I did nothing….. What is it Brian? It’s a cup with dirt in it.. Just give me an F and move on….” Haha well, I’m glad to hear that you guys did so well with the project and skyler has joined the club with his brothers and sisters for professional procrastinators. (you gotta break that habit for him, it’s terrible)

Once again, I’m jealous that you are getting more snow. I received Bishop Johnsons letter this week and he was talking about how during the middle of the night he had the spiritual impression that he needed to go to the hospital and so as he went to leave, he had to shovel again and I just laughed when he said how politely the snow plow left a big wall for him. Haha,Ya, I don’t miss clearing the walls of snow that they leave behind. Hope your back is doing okay.

I’m glad that you all enjoyed cake and a movie for me. Yesterday we also enjoyed a cake. It wasn’t for my birthday, one of the other elders just made the cake and we enjoyed. I wanted to get a picture but we dug in too quick. It was funny. Four Elders sitting around the table, one plate, and some spoons, digging in to some cake together. I feel fat. I ate the whole thing! They had all turned around and when they looked back it was gone. Haha But I guess that was my birthday celebration. Hahahahahaha I just saw the picture. What a Sweet Cake! I’m jealous.

This week has been okay. Nothing too exciting, and yet nothing too bad. Still just trying to do my best and be patient and faithful. We should be getting transfer news this week. We were supposed to get it yesterday but President is still receiving revelation. All’s good.

Well, It is time to go. I’m glad you guys have got the new car. Mom told me about that awhile ago and I’ve been praying that you’d be able to get a good one. So lets hope it all works. Which kind of car is it? Until next time, where I won’t be so young.

Love you tons.
Love Elder Jones
1 Corinthians 13:11 I think that one is fitting for the age.

No comments:

Post a Comment