Friday, July 12, 2013

June 10, 2013

 Hey Family, I hope all is going well for you all. 

As for me. I'm still waiting for my new companion. He is supposed to be here on Thursday. Because of the new influx of missionaries and shortening of the MTC time things are off by two weeks. So, i have to be in a threesome until then but it won't be too bad.

  This week was good. On Saturday I was able to attend a traditional wedding. It was odd. but still good. They can call it, tie Kola, basically the parents of him and her sit down at a table introduce basically their whole family talk about some different things. His family gives gifts to hers and pays for the bride. they bring her out then him, discuss some more and then he and her drink Kola to tie it all together.. I couldn't understand basically anything that was being said because they were all talking in Mende, even though they had a translator it was still all over the place but it was good. While they were doing all the introductions of family and other important people I was just kind of looking around at the people and then i noticed that everybody was looking at me. I froze looked back to the front, the guy translating was telling me and the others to stand up. My heart was in my stomach. I had no idea if i was supposed to do anything or something like that. I timidly stood up and had the others stand up they greeted us, we greeted, and sat down, whew! that was a close one. But it was all very sweet. I was super happy that I was able to finally go to a traditional wedding. I've been wanting to see how they do it but never knew anybody having one. DJ, Katie, I'm not too sure exactly what was all said during the process to tell you well enough, so it looks like you can't do it Old Sierra Leone Africa style for the wedding. sorry. ha ha.

  Yesterday we had the District conference for all of Bo. It was good. Elder Dickson came. I was SOOOO Happy during the conference because I was able to see a bunch of my recent converts from my last area. It felt soo nice to see them still active with out me there to help encourage them. All the young men from there were in white shirts and ties and looking sweet. Before the actual conference they had a small investigators and recent converts program. they had recent converts from all the areas give testimonies. The one from Messima was Bro. Borbor Alpha. I'm sure i've said many things about him. He is soo amazing. During the conference i kept seeing different converts and just felt so happy. 

  Pres. and Sis. Roggia talked as it was there last time they will have a district conference while here in Sierra Leone. Sister Roggia talked about them and their time here and about sacrifice. She talked about us missionaries and the sacrifice we give. As she was talking just saying what we've given up, the hardships we go through and what not I kind of had one of those mind blowing wow moments. Yes, i know i've given up two years away from family, school, work friends etc... I've known that and thought about it many times. But there was just something about it as she said it that just blew my mind. Holy Cow! we give up a lot and especially being here in these circumstances... it isn't easy. But as she continued talking about it she talked about love. And that is why. Love for the people and especially a love for our God. I can't really put down what i was feeling on words to describe it but as she was talking and the spirit was talking to me all i could feel and know was at how important this work is and how true it is. Even with the difficulties, how wonderful it is. I'm so glad to be here with these people and to see that what i'm doing is actually working and helping many people.
 
   Pres. Roggia kind of talked small about the same thing but mostly talked more about the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. It was very powerful! He too talked about difficulties and how his mission was a two year but they told them they would do it for three. He talked about how when he stepped off the plane he had a vision of the progress and wonderful things that would happen here. and many of those things he didn't think would happen during his time but has. He talked about how when they opened the call he knew where this place was but that as almost every missionary who comes here has never heard of this place and most of the world has no idea about it. But even as now nobody knows about it that it can come to be a very wonderful place as it takes int he gospel it will be blessed above other nations and receive what they need and other will even be looking to it to see how and why this has happened so they can do the same. I know that to be true as i've already seen changes for the better in this country and know good things are still to come. President Roggia was talking about how he kept asking everybody what the best, most beautiful thing, most memorable thing he would see while here. He, thinking it would be some waterfall, beautiful sands and ocean, mountain and landscape was told, the people. And that is correct. Even with the difficulties, the people smiling happy faces and just them in general is the best thing. As he was saying that i looked into the face of all the people seeing many people i know and love and have created many wonderful relationships with. The best thing about here isn't the wonderful bush and landscapes, the waterfall and oceans i've seen, not the beautiful sun rises and sun sets but the people. Their faces and relationships are what this work is all about. Yes our Father in Heaven through his Son Jesus Christ created a very beautiful place. But this work isn't about that. It is about the people. Bringing back every precious soul to see the face of God and our Savior. Through all of presidents talk I was almost in tears feeling the spirit and knowing that all to be true and how difficult it will be to leave this place and people, even with what i've given up. It can't compare. As president closed he followed the words of Jacob from the Book of Mormon in closing with an Adieu. It was classy as his last goodbyes to the people as a whole.

  Well, That is about all I have for now. I'm so happy to be out here doing the Lords work and having all of these wonderful experiences and relationships. This gospel is true and can bless us all the more we put ourselves into it. I love you all and hope all is going well. Give my love to everybody. I'll let you know more next week about my new companion.

Love Elder Jones
  
E-mail To Dad:

 Wow! that is a lot of changes in the ward. I hope that all goes well and that the ward can continue to do so well. That is always important. I wish that our members here would keep their commitments as well as they do back home. But... small small.

  I remember giving my first talk. I don't remember what it was about but i remember I gave my talk when the older daughter of the... Hoxies got home off her mission, I think that is there name. haha 

as i've been here i've seen the importance of family history and know that i need to get more into it when i get home. (I just hope i have that same enthusiasm about it when i actually get home)

  Holy cow. I can't believe at how many people I know are heading out on missions. It is crazy and yet so amazing. The work is sweet. I'm super excited for Sister Stuart, she will be amazing! same with the Womack twins. I love them.

  i can't believe that it is only 11 days away from the wedding. I can't believe it is actually happening. Just goes to show the Lord gives blessing to his servants and their families. Ha Ha :) I'm so happy for them and know that they will be great for each other as i've heard you all talk about the wonderful things that are already happening with them.

  That is one thing that i wish was more important to the world wide membership is the importance of the pioneers. I'm so glad that i've been able to grown up learning about them and even following some of their footsteps. I can't wait to see it when i get home. Bishop Johnson is amazing! those youth are sure blessed as was I while he was there and still am blessed by him and his example. Tell him thank you for me.

  Well, I have to go. I love you tons. Hope all is going well for you and you can accomplish all your tasks at work.
Love you
Love Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment