Thursday, July 11, 2013

January 14, 2013

Hello Mother and Family.

Well, I'm glad to hear from you all once again and I wish that you are all doing well enjoying the deep deep snow and cold while i'm enjoying the  heat and inches of dust instead of snow. I'll be honest, i'm actually quite jealous. But I'll survive, and I hope you do too in all that snow.


On saturday we had a baptism for two young men. one named Daniel Sandi Lansana and the other Peter Bio Vandi. It was the first time using this font since we've moved to this new building. So we had to go super early to clean it because the workers who built it did a TERRIBLE job at finishing and cleaning. So, we went, cleaned and then started to fill the font.We didn't get too far when the pump stop pumping water into the font... After a while we figured out that it was because of the depth of the water in the well. The pump was working but that type can't really pump anything more that 25  feet and the water level was what we guessed to be about 27 feet. So, we then started to take bucket and fill them from the tank behind the church and bring them. Then, the tank was empty.... So, we didn't get the font more full with water then my mid calf...We didn't want to walk all the way to the river again and we figured that these two were small enough that they just  might barley make it completely under the water. So as we got in I had them sit down with their legs straight infront of them. Then, I kneeled next to them and commenced with the ordinance. As I went to put them under the water the first boy made it with about a half inch to spare. Then next boy made it with a little more ease but not by much. We also had to do him twice  because the clothes came up. But at last we were able to squeeze in the baptism for them and all is well.


Basically this whole week we've been without power. The people who control the power also came at the beginning of the week and gave us our bill. But, the thing was that the bill was for the last three months. yes, they failed to deliver our bill for the last three months and so now they put on a  massive fine for late fees... It is crazy. That is what the people do here. They don't do their job so that they can try and collect more money out of you. It is frustrating. But, soon that will all be fixed. But our generator has been broken so we spent the whole week basically in darkness. But now  the generator is getting fixed and so hopefully during the dry season as it begins to come that we won't have too many powerless nights. 


O ya, on tuesday I was also able to taste some shark... One of the Elders as they were out noticed somebody selling fish and that one of them was shark so they bought it and brought it home for us all to try. I'm okay with just a single taste. But now that can add to my list of crazy things that i've eaten while i'm out here.


On the week. Not much happened at all. I was able to go on an exchange this week. I went with Elder Symons to his area of Sewa Road. In their area they are basically starting fresh with their teaching pool. So, as i went, we spent the entire day teaching the same lesson. It was good and all. But can i say  very repetitive. At the end of the day I was tired of saying the same thing over and over again. Usually it isn't so bad because you have variation of different lessons
during the day, but not that day. But it was okay. We had a good day and i've grown a greater respect for those teachers in school where they have many classes and they are teaching the exact same thing in every class. ha ha. 


Well, my time is up. I'm excited that next monday we will have Elder Curtis come and talk to us. So next week i'll be able to add some of his inspiring words.


I love you all. Thank you for everything.
Love Elder Jones

E-mail To Dad:



 Hey Dad,
Wow. those pictures of the snow are crazy. I'm sorry about your pain but i can see where that is coming from
That is awesome to hear about Logan. Tell him congrats for me! Brother Pew wrote me today. He mentioned about Braedon and his call to France. When you told me that last week all week I kept thinking to myself that Addison had gone there, but then Bro. Pew said that both Brother and Sister Humphrey  served there as well. Holy Cow. That is crazy. Talk about a family mission. Man, I can't believe that Matt and Logan will be leaving on at the end and beginning of the month. That is soo quick. And so awesome.
As for the linger longer. That sounds sweet I wish we could do something like that here but I don't think that would work too well and you'd get people come that arn't from the church just for the food and then never return and that would take a lot of planning on the branch part which many of them don't like to do that much effort. haha. For the potatoes. Yes they have them here. But mostly all Sweet potatoes. You can find Irish potatoes here and there.
Thank you so much for that scripture. That is truly what I needed most right now. my companion is getting trunkier and trunkier by the day and it is  getting harder and harder to feel like i'm having success. ooo there are just soo many feelings I have at this time but I don't want to complain. All I  want is to have a companion who cares about the work and the companionship. Every day I just come home so tired because I don't feel like anything gets done because the Spirit is not there no matter how hard I try. Again, I don't want to complain. I'm not one who likes to. I don't want you to worry too
much about me. I'm doing okay and just trying to be a faithful servant of the Lord even though it is tough. But, i'll continue to try my best and be  faithful. I know it won't last forever and that it will be a blessing to me... somehow. someday. All I can ask for is for continued words of encouragement and happiness that i can focus on during the week too keep me going until I can catch a break and really get things going.
O ya, Brother pew said something about a sister coming to Sierra Leone... What? All of us here figured that there wouldn't be a white sister here for at lest another nine to twelve months... That is crazy. It just goes to show that the Lords work is truly moving along which i'm sooo grateful to be apart of in this wonderful land. I know that this is where I need to be and I'm so glad that i'm here. Pass on my thanks to brother pew once again for the package and congrats to those who have received their call.
Thanks for everything. I love you so much.
Love your son.
Elder Jones
P.S. It's okay. I have a resolution to get into better shape as well. hahaha. let me know how yours goes. :)

E-mail to Shiree:


Hey Shiree,

Very first... HOLY COW, Meagan Story is going to the Phillipines!? Wow, that is so exciting. you will definitely  have to tell her or her parents to tell her congrats for me.wow. that is so sweet.It is awesome to see where all of us are going being so spread out around the world delivering this wonderful message. wow. That makes me happy. Thank you.


That is crazy about the snow. Man I wish I could have some snow right now. But i'm sure that i'd die at that temperature. Yikes that is cold. Dad sent me some pictures of it. That is a lot of snow. I am sooo jealous right now.


Well, I am very glad to hear that you have been spiritually fed. (i'm stuffed to the rafters! O no, we've got a 3 fig newton eater. What is he crazy!?) What, you got to go and listen to President Uchtdorf!? now i'm really jealous. I wish so bad that we could have more access to our dear Prophets and  Apostles. But, good news with that. Elder Curtis is coming next monday to talk with the missionaries which i'm really excited for. So next week i'll 
be able to share my own experience.


Well, for this week. Not much happened. My companion is getting trunkier and trunkier by the day. It is very hard and I feel like i'm not being able  to do all that we should be. But i'm trying to stand strong and be faithful. It is kind of rough but I know that in the end it will be a blessing for me.. somehow..


I'm sorry I don't have much else to say. But thank you for the good news that truly brightened my day. 


I love you tons. Talk to you next week and I hope yours goes very well. Enjoy the snow.
Love,
Elder Jones


No comments:

Post a Comment