Hey Family,
How is everything going for you all? I hope you had a great week.
Sorry last week was such a short letter, but also nobody wrote me and so I didn’t have anything to reply to.. But this week there is more.
Bad news… which also applied to why the letter was short last week, as I sent that picture of me and the little boys shaving. As I took out my card from the computer all my pictures were gone. Something crazy happened and it is telling me that I have to format the card. So… Basically a year and five months of pictures gone…. But I still have some small hope that there can be a recovery process done to it when I get home from a professional. Until then, I won’t be using it at all. It’s good that I have another card so that I can still take photos. But… yeah… It was a pretty rough day for the last few days thinking about all of those photos and people and memories. Hopefully we can recover them when i get back. But, until then.... No pictures will be sent home. sorry yeah.
Anyway.... This week was good. On Saturday we did our All African Service project or Mormon Helping Hands. It was good. many of our branch members showed up and helped out with positive attitudes. We cleaned up some of the round-a-bouts in town and planted some little flowers in them to help them look a little better. I don't understand. People here complain that there are no jobs and I look around and see plenty of things that can happen such as trash clean up in town, small small landscaping like what we just did and other things that will help clean up the country and give at least some few people jobs.. But I was glad to help. We had fun doing it and it was something that was needed. It was good.
After the service project we went to the church to fill up our font for an evening baptism. We filled it completely full. Man that thing is big! I feel like doing laps in it every time we get lots of water in it. We had to fill it up all the way because they don't make things air tight so the water leaks out fast. By the time we had the baptism the water had gone down a lot but there was still plenty to do the baptism with out a problem. We had two for our half of the area and two from the other elders in the branch. One was Fallo Nuglumai and the other was Hamidu Sheriff. I want to share some small about Hamidu.
Hamidu is a 23 year old young man. The first time I met him was when we were teaching another person and I saw him come out from behind a building a ways off, stand in the middle of the small field there and start peeing. He saw us and came over to us, sat down, and said we wanted to be a part of us. I could tell that he was drunk and probably high. . . those that we were teaching just started laughing because they knew that he was a joke. I kind of thought the same thing but told him that he was more than welcome if he wanted to. We didn't see him around for a while and then he just kid of showed up again some time later. He was joining lessons here and there and you could tell that he was cleaning up just a little bit from the first time we met him and told him he couldn't drink or smoke. So, we started to teach him. after a little bit he went out and got him some nice pants and a shirt and started to come to church. Every time that we went to him you could see some small improvements. He started hanging around many of the other guys who are recent converts who at first rejected him because he was a druggie. But now he was accepted and you could see him getting happy. The other day we were out walking around and we saw them all playing football. He was happy and energetic. We called him over to talk about the baptism. he ran over with a smile and all. He came super early to church in a white shirt and tie all ready to go. WOW. I felt so happy seeing his conversion process through the gospel. It really has made a big impact in his life.
Things were good this week. We had our interview with president and also his wife. As we talked with her she kept telling us to eat salads and all this other healthy food... We all just kind of looked at her with a look of... Umm, have you walked in my area. there is no food and the only food that is there I don't trust the one who makes it.. It was funny. She kept saying that we need to ease back on the rice but that is all we have... haha Things are good though. We're surviving and living well. They are a great mission president couple.
Well, that is about all for this week. my time is running low. I'll talk to you next week.
I love you all!
Love Elder Jones
No comments:
Post a Comment